Skip to main content

Weeks 11 and 12: Blooket

The game I chose to discuss is Blooket. It is similar to Kahoot, but seems to have more features. Students are encouraged to participate in games with rewards for answering questions. Blooks are the block characters that students can unlock as they play more. Teachers can create their own question sets unique to their curriculum or choose from pre-made sets. Teachers can also choose different game themes, the game you will play is the Cafe theme. The Blooket website states, "However, Blooket isn't just fun, it's also incredibly effective. By creating memorable experiences with classroom content, students learn the information without even noticing (and without paper cuts)" (2023).

Blooket is a handy tool because it doesn't always need to be completed as a class! You can assign question sets as homework and have students work on their own time. It can be an early-finisher option for those students who are looking for the next thing to do. As I write out this blog post, I am thinking of a few of my students who are super slow workers and have a lot of work in their catch-up folders because of it. I am wondering if they would be motivated to work quicker and more efficiently if they knew this was their early finisher task. As of right now, not all game features can be assigned as homework. The website is currently working to add more features, so hopefully, they make all game modes work for homework!

Lastly, I love that this game keeps up with holidays and trends. Currently, they have spring-themed Blooks and items available in the market. They also had items for St. Patrick's Day. I believe this motivates students to keep playing and buy all the new items that come out. 

                               

Comments

  1. Nice choice Dalila! I love playing Blooket with my first graders. Personally, I like the racing game, but my kids prefer the other games most of the time, such as the "Feeding Frenzy" fishing game or the game where you build castles. But at least I can come up with my own questions for them, so at least they are learning their different skills as they play.

    Games like these really help my students with instruction because they enjoy them so much. Many times I use them as rewards if the have a good day. They learn valuable lessons while they have fun. As an educator, I strive to find different ways to keep this going. Blooket has definitely allowed me to do that!

    I will also have to try assigning some of the activities to the students. It just might make them get work done outside of the classroom! Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1: Literacy as a Social Practice

  "The distinctive contribution of the approach to literacy as social practice lies in the ways in which it involves careful and sensitive attention to what people do with texts, how they make sense of them and use them to further their own purposes in their own learning lives" (Gillen and Barton, 2010, p. 9).        Before the job I have now, I never realized how much our personal lives affect how we process and make sense of texts. I grew up in a largely populated city with small, rural towns surrounding us. I was so used to all the different cultures, races, and languages I was engaged with. I never realized how little diversity other kids in smaller towns are being exposed to. Now, I work in a small, rural school and I get to see the difference first-hand in the way they process texts and media based on their life experiences.       With children growing up in a world of social media and technology, I am interested to see how digital lite...

Week 3: Remixing Literacy

     This week, our readings focused on multimodal pedagogies and remixing literacy. Remixing literacy is the act of taking available content and resources and creating something new. The authors discussed the issues involving defining digital literacy and incorporating it into the classroom in a meaningful way.      The section that stood out to me was Mr. Cardenas and his journalism students. He gave the students so much support, assistance, tools, and freedom to take on the role of true journalists. His students, even the ones who weren't initially interested in journalism, admired him for letting them "learn how to fly". The author,  Stephanie Schmier, stated: I (Stephanie) interviewed one student, Casey, about her experiences in the class, she shared how she appreciated the way Mr. Cardenas respected the knowledge that students brought with them into the classroom and didn’t “waste time” teaching the students skills they had already learned outsid...